Showing posts from March, 2018

No. 111 - St Mary's Evandale - 'Training up the Little Ones'

The establishment of a Catholic Church at Evandale is usually dated to ‘around 1863’. However, a report in the Examiner from November 1859 clearly dates this as four years earlier: “On Sunday last one of those pleasing and joyful events which gladdens the heart of the Christian took place in that charming and delightfully situated township, Evandale. For some time past the Catholics of the district, aided by their zealous pastor, have had in contemplation the erection of a church, where they might meet to worship God, and train up their little ones in the faith of their fathers. The good work is now happily completed. The church was solemnly opened on Sunday last by the Rev. M. O'Callaghan, whose lucid and brilliant discourse was listened to with breathless attention by a numerous audience, many of whom came from Launceston, thus testifying at once their zeal for God's house, and their respect and reverence for their priest and spiritual director. Too much praise cannot be give

No. 110 - St Thomas More's Church Newstead - 'A Brand New Saint'

The story of the Catholic Church at Newstead began with the purchase of land in Kenyon Street as a site to replace St Columba’s School at Sandhill which had burnt down in in 1932. This was intended to be the site for a new church and school in Newstead. The steepness of this site however made it unsuitable and this was then sold in order to acquire land on Abbot Street. The design of the church originally planned for Kenyon Street can be seen at the bottom of the page. St Thomas More’s Church was opened at the Abbot Street site on 14 March 1937. In 1938 the Sisters of St Joseph opened a school alongside the church with an enrolment of fifteen students. Sister Mary Camillus was the first principal. The Examiner reported on the opening of the new church: “Modern in every way, the new Roman Catholic Church at the corner of Abbott and Campbell Streets, was blessed and opened yesterday afternoon by Monsignor Monaghan in the presence of a large attendance of parishioners. The building has

No. 109 - The Brickhill Memorial Church Campbell Town - A Secret Stain

The Brickhill Memorial Church in Campbell Town’s High Street replaced the old Wesleyan Chapel in King Street. It opened in 1880 and became known as the "Brickhill” Church in acknowledgement of its patron Joseph Brickhill, a prominent businessman and Methodist in Campbell Town. Brickhill’s death in 1865 had arisen out of tragic circumstances. He kept a large Airedale hound in his store as a deterrent to would-be burglars. One night the dog attacked him and he never fully recovered from an abscess that developed from the mauling. Brickhill’s bequest was significant and it is indicative of his deep faith as well as the fortune he had amassed from his business in Campbell Town. His estate helped establish new churches in Launceston (Paterson Street), Westbury and New Town. Five hundred pounds was given to form a theological fund and £1,400 was put aside for a new Church in Campbell Town’s High Street. The new building was to be built of bluestone with freestone front and dressings a

No. 108 - St Andrew's Evandale - An Anchor of Hope

On the lawns in front of this most attractive church is a monument that competes for attention. It is the memorial to Reverend Robert Russell, founder and pastor of the Evandale Presbyterian Church for a period of 33 years. Surmounting a granite pillar is a female figure carved from white Sicilian marble. Her right hand is elevated and her forefinger points to the heavens, while the left hand rests on an anchor. An anchor's purpose is to secure a ship and bring comfort in a storm. The figure personifies Hope, pointing to a better future where solace from the storms of life await. The Reverend Russell bought hope and solace to the people of Morven as it was then called. As a young Scot he arrived in the village in 1838 to commence his parish duties. At that time there was no church building and services were held in homes. The Scottish community of Evandale raised funds for the building of a church and along with a grant from the Government, this enabled the laying of a foundatio

No. 107 - Saundridge Chapel - "Lord of the Harvest"

In 1862 Robert Joseph Archer of Saundridge donated the land and built this small chapel near Cressy. Robert Archer of the Archer dynasty, inherited the Saundridge estate from his father William Archer. He became a well-known local farmer and was briefly a member of the House of Assembly, representing Ringwood (modern Cressy). He was also a magistrate for some years. He sold the property to the Thirkell family in1875 and moved to Melbourne, where he died in 1914. A plaque within the chapel states that the building was provided for use by Protestant denominations; consequently both the Uniting Church and Anglicans still have access for services. The chapel is used for worship several times a year as well as for private ceremonies. When Robert Archer retired he appointed his brother Alfred and his nephew Basil Archer as Trustees of the chapel. It continues to be maintained by trustees who have received some assistance from the National trust in restoring and maintaining the chapel. Be