Posts

Showing posts from July, 2026

No. 1659 - Goodwood - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church

Image
Goodwood is a small residential suburb found near Bowen Bridge south-east of the Brooker Highway. It was named after the nearby Goodwood Racecourse which was later renamed Elwick Racecourse. Most houses in Goodwood were built in the 1950s as public housing. Little information is available concerning a short-lived Catholic church built at Goodwood in the early 1960s. Our Lady of the Sacred Heart church fell within the Lutana-Goodwood Parish, which was formed out of the Moonah Parish in 1961 by Archbishop Young. A 1981 booklet commemorating the golden jubilee of St Therese's Parish (Moonah) briefly mentions the Goodwood church: “A Church, named Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, was built at Goodwood by Mr H. Scoles and helpers, who included, from time to time, Fr. McGuane. Mass was said at Goodwood, because the Catholics in that area had increased”. The building was a temporary structure but a permanent church was never built. In 2002 Archbishop Adrian Doyle merged the parishes back tog...

No. 1658 - Hobart - Adrian Doyle Chapel - St Mary's College (2014)

Image
The Adrian Doyle Chapel is located at St Mary’s College, Hobart. The chapel is named in honour and recognition of the tenth Catholic Archbishop of Hobart, Adrian Leo Doyle. On 10 November 1997, Doyle was appointed Coadjutor Archbishop of Hobart by Pope John Paul II. He received his episcopal consecration on 6 February 1998 from Archbishop Eric D'Arcy. He succeeded Archbishop D'Arcy as the tenth Archbishop of Hobart upon the latter's resignation on 26 July 1999. On 26 January 2009 Archbishop Doyle became a Member of the Order of Australia for his service to the Catholic Church in Australia and to the community, particularly as Archbishop of Hobart and through Caritas programs supporting international aid to developing countries. Adrian Doyle is the first Tasmanian-born Archbishop of Hobart. In 2014 the Adrian Doyle Chapel was built in a converted space on the second floor of the old St Mary’s Convent building. It is located in one of the two extension wings added to the orig...