No. 18 - All Saints Anglican Church Exeter
Building began on the church in 1916 on land donated by Mr Southerwood local publican. In 1927 the Lord Bishop of Tasmania, Robert Hay, officially consecrated the church. The church is built of brick and is in the English Arts and Crafts style. It was designed by the renowned architect Alexander North (and partners) who himself was a practising Anglican. Little information is available on the buildings history apart from a short history written by Phyllis Stephenson.
An interesting feature of the building is the First World War memorial cross at the front of the church. Inside the church are two stained glass windows commemorating those who served in World War One. These were relocated from St Michael’s Anglican Church in Rosevears, which closed in 1974 and is now a private dwelling.
|LINC Tasmania LPIC147-3-00040|
With the architects names included the assumption is that this is a concept drawing. It is also labelled 'New Anglican Church' not "All Saints", perhaps indicating that this was produced before it was consecrated.
Post a Comment