No. 19 - St Canice Glengarry

It is a challenge to find freely available histories of small rural churches and St. Canice at Glengarry is no exception. A report on the opening of the church in 1894, appearing in the Examiner was a real find.  One of my objectives for this blog is to make contact with people who are ‘keepers of history’ before sources are lost. As with all posts on churches, they will be updated as information comes to hand. The report from The Examiner has been edited and a link to the full story can be found at the end of this post.

 CHURCH OF ST. CANICE. OPENING CEREMONY  
The Examiner 29 January 1894
 A piece of land was purchased at public auction from the Government, and on this acre some short time ago the foundation of what will: in a short time become a very pretty little building was laid. This was recently completed, and yesterday the …Bishop of Hobart (the Most Rev. Dr. P. Delany) solemnly blessed and opened the building in the presence of a large congregation. …It is a weatherboard building capable of seating about 80 persons. The main building is 50ft by 20ft, the nave 30ft by 19ft, and sacristy and chancel 12ft by 8ft.  The plan was prepared by Mr. Alex. North…., and is a very creditable design. Mr. Charles Sykes, of Rosevale, was the contractor, and he carried out his work to the satisfaction of all.  The cost was about £165, on which an amount of £85 has already been paid. An altar, which was presented by Mr James Deane, of Elizabeth-street, Launceston, was in position yesterday, and looked exceedingly well. A communion cloth and towels were presented by Mr Bourke, of Brisbane-street, and Mr M. Lynch gave the altar rails…. Dr. Delany having blessed the building and altar, the Ven. Archdeacon Hogan celebrated mass. The choir of the Church of the Holy Trinity, Westbury, with the assistance of Miss Alice Grant, of Launceston, sang Farmer's " Kyre Eleison," " Sanctus," and "Agnus Dei." …. Dr. Delany preached from the 2nd chapter of the book of Ecclesiasticus, pointing out that all should live in justice and in fear of God, and urging all to lead honest and faithful lives. During the course of an eloquent address he referred to the establishment of the church in the district, ands congratulated the people on their generosity. He advised them to have their children educated, and intimated that he would make arrangements before leaving for a Sunday school to be opened every Sunday afternoon in the building, so that the children who attended the schools in the district could receive proper religious education.” 








Sources


St. Canice : the Church of Glengarry, 1894-1994. (pamphlet) copy yet to be located














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 606 - Upper Castra - Uniting (Methodist) Church (1908-1989)