No. 61 - Nile Chapel - Languishing in Lymington

With the arrival of Scottish settlers around the Evandale region in the mid 19th century, the Reverend Robert Russell from St Andrews Presbyterian Church, instigated the building of a church at village of Nile (known as Lymington prior to 1910). Before 1858, Presbyterian services in Lymington had been held in a shed. The church that was built in 1858 was a 'Chapel of Ease', which was not dedicated to a specific denomination. However, by 1877 it was being used as a Wesleyan Chapel which continued up until the turn of the century. It was also used for general community purposes such as for meetings and for a time was used as a schoolroom. One of the subscribers for the building of the chapel was John Glover as well as the Reverend Russell himself.

The church is now abandoned and is in danger of becoming derelict unless restoration work is done in the near future. It would be a great pity if this beautiful little church is lost.


Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

The Chapel in better days - source: National Library of Australia PIC Cold Store Row A2/3/2 #PIC/14196/281/nla.obj-15183975  Nile Chapel 1968-1972
SOURCES

K.R von Stieglitz, Days and Ways of Old evandale
K.R von Stieglitz, St Andrew's Presbyterian Church 125th Anniversary, 1964.
Mercury 26th March 1895.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)