No. 58 - St Andrew's Carrick - Reibey's Backyard

St Andrews Anglican Church in Carrick (originally called Lyttleton) has strong connections with Thomas Reibey, who was Premier of Tasmania from 1876 to 1877. Reibey was also a cleric and rector at Launceston's Holy Trinity Church as well at the church in Carrick. Reibey’s efforts are outlined in the Examiner in a report about the church's approaching centenary:

“Mr. Reibey abandoned his father's plan to form a parish at Entally and decided to form a parish at Carrick. His first project was to open a school in a cottage which he rented. For some years without any aid from the Government he carried on this school and paid the teacher. Mr. Reibey was too young to be ordained, but Bishop Nixon gave him a licence to hold a service on Sundays. The attendance at the first services held in a blacksmith's shop were so encouraging [with] farmers and their families from the Oaks, Sillwood, Illawarra and Entally attending, that he decided to build a church. He set apart seven acres of land, the site on which St. Andrew's Church stands”.

The church was begun in 1845 with the conversion of the schoolhouse building. It was consecrated in the same year and a tower was added in 1863 giving us the church building that can be seen today. Apart from being instrumental in St Andrew’s establishment, Reibey was its first minister and worked there in a voluntary capacity for 30 years.

Some points of interest about the church include its bell which was made in England from iron and steel and lined with silver. The church also features an organ, originally housed in the crypt of St Paul's Cathedral, London.


Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

One of the many grave stones in the cemetery which have suffered from the ravages of time. Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018
Sources:

Anglican Churches in Tasmania – Geoffrey Stephens 1992
Examiner Friday 26 November 1943

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)

No. 1035 - Lower Mount Hicks Methodist Church (1890-1972)