No. 130 - All Saints Ravenswood - 'Cranswick's Baby'

In 1951 Anglican services at Ravenswood were held in a chapel lent by the Methodists. A report in The Examiner in 1952 suggests that the establishment of a new church at Ravenswood was of special interest to the Bishop of Tasmania:

“The Rt. Rev. G.F. Cranswick will preach to his “baby” congregation at Ravenswood tomorrow morning. The Ravenswood Anglican congregation is the youngest in the Tasmanian diocese. The congregation was formed in October [1951] as part of the parish of St. Leonards and it has since used the Ravenswood Methodist Church…. Since October the congregation has grown steadily and members now have visions of building a church suitable for the growing area….”

Bishop Cranswick’s hopes soon came to fruition when the foundation stone for a new church was laid in June 1956. It was one of 18 churches built during Cranswick’s episcopate. The church was built by voluntary labour. It was opened and dedicated in October 1958. The altar came from St John’s Mission House (now Launceston Backpacker’s in Canning Street) and it was consecrated in October 1975. The church has now closed and was sold in 2014. 


Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018
Real Estate Photographs

Photo Roberts Real Estate 2014

Photo Roberts Real Estate 2014

Photo Roberts Real Estate 2014

Photo Roberts Real Estate 2014

Photo Roberts Real Estate 2014

Sources:

Henslowe, Dorothea; Our heritage of Anglican churches in Tasmania. Mercury-Walch, Moonah, Tas, 1978.
The Advocate Saturday 14 June 1952, page 3
The Examiner Saturday 14 June 1952, page 4


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)

No. 1017 - Hobart - St Peter's Hall