No. 143 - South Launceston - St Mark's on The Hill

An Anglican Mission Hall opened at Sandhill in 1924. Originally called St Peter’s Mission, in 1958 this was changed to St Mark’s on the Hill to avoid confusion with St Peter’s Catholic church which had opened at Kings Meadows in 1952 as well as the Anglican church of St Peter’s at nearby St Leonards.

Planning for a new church to replace the old Mission Hall began in 1959. In November 1960 the foundation stone for the new building was laid in the presence of 400 people.

The opening of the new church took place on 2nd July 1961. It began with Holy Communion led by Bishop Cranswick in the old church hall, after which the altar was removed and placed in 'Warrior Chapel' of the new Church.

The Warrior Chapel is an unusual feature of the church in that it is dedicated to servicemen who have served in the wars. It contains items of historical significance such as the Flag of the Tasmanian Rats of Tobruk Association.


St Mark's is main church for the Parish of Launceston South, which also includes St. James at Franklin Village  and Church of The Good Shepherd at Hadspen.

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Sources

Holloway, Kerry - St. Mark on the Hill, The light on the hill : a history of the Anglican Church in South Launceston, 1924-2010 [Launceston, Tasmania, 2010]


Comments

  1. St. Mark's is NOT part of Riverlinks. It is the main church for the Parish of Launceston South, which also includes St. James, Franklin Village (opposite Franklin House) and Church of The Good Shepherd, Hadspen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, my error. Have corrected. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)