No. 191 - Grindelwald Wedding Chapel

The wedding chapel at Grindelwald near Legana is not an old building or even a church in the traditional sense but it does have an interesting physical connection with an historic church in Campbell Town.

Grindelwald is a Swiss style village in the Tamar Valley, north of Launceston. Constructed in the 1980s, Grindelwald’s creator, businessman Rolf Vos, was inspired by a Swiss village he saw while holidaying in Europe. On returning to Tasmania, he realised his vision in 1985 with the completion and opening of a Swiss village, resort and restaurant. The Grindelwald estate covers about 1000 acres, including a 17-acre man-made lake. 


Lake Louise and its chapel were the first part of the project to be completed. The chapel’s cedar pews were bought in from Campbell Town and are believed to date back to 1845. It is most likely that the pews came from the old Wesleyan Chapel in King Street in Campbell Town as it was constructed around this time and closed in the 1970’s.



Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Sources:

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/5031826/tassies-own-swiss-village-grindelwald/

https://www.tamarvalleyresort.com.au/resort-history/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)