No. 239 - The Former Baptist Church at Montana


The arrival of the Baptists in the Deloraine district dates back to the late 1850’s. Over the next century Baptist churches were established in rural settlements south of Deloraine including at Liffey; Quamby Brook; Golden Valley; Meander and Montana.

The Montana church was built around 1914. There are no newspaper reports about its opening service but by the 1920’s, anniversary services; harvest festivals; fairs; Sunday services and weddings were regularly reported in the local press.  Links to some of these reports are provided at the bottom of the page.

Families which had strong connections with the early years of the Montana church include the Chilcott; Sutton; Murfett; Whiteley; Cox; Synfield and Homan; families.

The church has been closed for approximately 30 years and although it has been converted into a house its original form is still clearly recognisable.

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

LINKS:

A Montana Wedding
A Lantern Lecture
A Montana Fair
A Farewell
A Sunday School Anniversary


Sources:

Hemsley, Jennifer Around the country circuits : reminiscences of the Baptist Church family throughout "Tassie's top half". Regal Press, Launceston, Tas, 1996.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)