No. 255 - The Evangelical Presbyterian Church at Winnaleah

The Evangelical Presbyterian Church is a relatively new denomination which was established in 1961. It has congregations in Tasmania, Queensland and New South Wales. The church was founded in Tasmania and the ordination of its first ministers took place in Launceston.

The Evangelical Presbyterian Church once had several congregations in Tasmania including Hobart, Taranna, Penguin and Winnaleah. Until recently the Winnaleah church ran a school in nearby Herrick, part of which was constructed from the old Presbyterian church building moved from Springfield close to Scottsdale.

The origin of the weatherboard church at Winnaleah is not known and it appears to predate the era of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. Apart from the old Uniting Church (formerly Presbyterian) and the former Anglican church at Winnaleah, their is no record of any other denomination having been established in the town prior to the 1960’s. It is possible that this building has been moved into Winnaleah from another location but this still has to be established. This blog entry will be updated once further information comes to hand.


Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Sources:

https://www.epc.org.au/history/a-history-of-the-evangelical-presbyterian-church-of-australia.html


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)