No. 357 - St Francis of Assisi at Riverside

St Francis’ Church Hall and Friary at Riverside, a suburb of Launceston, opened in September 1962. However, the church’s origins began with the establishment of the Church of the Assumption in Trevallyn which opened in August 1950. In 1956 a new Trevallyn-Riverside parish was created which was placed under the authority of the Franciscan Order. In addition to the Church of the Assumption at Trevallyn, a Mass centre was established at Cormiston Road in Riverside. As the population centre of the parish shifted to the rapidly growing suburb of Riverside, a third centre was built at Pomona Road. This was to become the site of St Francis Church. In time, both the Church of the Assumption and the Cormiston Mass centre closed and the parish developed around St Francis Church Hall. In August 1982 the hall was enlarged and renovated to transform it into a modern church and a more suitable a centre for the Riverside parish.

The Franciscans have departed Tasmania in recent years however St Francis of Assisi still operates as the main centre of the enlarged parish of West Tamar which includes St Canice at Glengarry and St Francis Xavier at Beaconsfield.



Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019


Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019


Source:

Southerwood, W. T. Planting a faith : Launceston's Catholic Story in word and picture. W.T. Southerwood, [Hobart], 1968.

Southerwood, W.T. Launceston's Catholic Story (1838-2001)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)

No. 1017 - Hobart - St Peter's Hall