No. 379 - St Stephen's Presbyterian Church at Glen Dhu

In 1905 St Stephen’s Presbyterian church was built in South Launceston at the end of Wilson Street. The church remained in use until the 1950’s when the congregation relocated to a new church built in nearby Glen Dhu Street. The reason for this move is not known but it may have been prompted by land acquisitions for a new freeway; Launceston’s Southern Outlet. The proposed road effectively divided Wilson Street in half leaving the old church stranded in a cul-de-sac cut off from South Launceston.

The new Glen Dhu church opened in 1958. However, a decline in the size of the congregation and church amalgamations in the 1970’s resulted in St Stephen’s closure in 1985. The building was used for a time by the Assembly of God before it became the premises of Launceston Bridge Club.

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

The original Wilson Street church which has been converted into a house. Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)