No. 385 - The Legana Free Reformed Church

The Launceston Free Reformed Church was established in 1953 in the immediate post-war years with the settlement of Dutch immigrants from the northern provinces of the Netherlands. Unlike the Dutch communities on the Australian mainland whose members are predominantly Catholic, the majority of the Dutch in Tasmania are Protestant. Approximately 3500 Dutch migrants had settled in Tasmania by the late 1950’s forming Tasmania's largest non-English speaking migrant community.

The Free Reformed Churches of Australia (FRCA) are a federation of 16 congregations with 14 in Western Australia and two in Tasmania. The Launceston church is associated with the John Calvin School which was established in 1965. In 1988 a second Tasmanian Free Reformed community was established at Legana, a dormitory town north Launceston. The Legana Free Reformed Church opened on 14 December 1991.


Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)

No. 1035 - Lower Mount Hicks Methodist Church (1890-1972)