No. 386 - The Blackwood Creek Community Church

Blackwood Creek is a small community at the base of the Great Western Tiers, approximately 50km southwest of Launceston. At the time of the 2016 census, the Blackwood Creek district had a population of 134.

A Baptist church was build at Blackwood Creek in 1880 but this was closed in 1991. It was replaced by a modern brick non-denominational community church in May 2000. The church was opened by Raymond Smith, the oldest member of the Blackwood Creek community. A World War One Honour Board from the old Baptist church remains in the new church. A memorial to servicemen from the community was erected outside the church in November 2001. The Baptist cemetery is located behind the the church and the oldest surviving headstone dates back to 1901.

The history of the Blackwood Creek Baptist Church will form the subject of a seperate blog entry in the near future.

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 606 - Upper Castra - Uniting (Methodist) Church (1908-1989)