No. 391 - The Seventh Day Adventist Church at Scottsdale

The Seventh-Day Adventist Church was established in Tasmania in 1888. The denomination originated in the USA in the 1860’s and in 1885 a group of Adventists travelled to Australia and began preaching in Melbourne. After a church group was established in Melbourne in 1886 members moved on to Sydney, Adelaide and Hobart. Public tent meetings were held in Sandy Bay in 1888 which led to the establishment of a church at Collinsvale and later at Hobart and Launceston.

The small Adventist church at Erina Street in Scottsdale is one of 16 Adventist churches in Tasmania. The 7th Day Adventist Church is one of 10 denominations in Scottsdale and is one of more recently established churches in the town.

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019
Sources:

http://www.utas.edu.au/library/companion_to_tasmanian_history/S/Seventh.htm

https://scottsdale.adventist.org.au

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 606 - Upper Castra - Uniting (Methodist) Church (1908-1989)