No. 404 - St Andrew's Presbyterian Church at Scottsdale
Scottsdale's Presbyterian community dates back to the mid 1860’s. The early period of the church's history was covered in a previous blog entry about the Ellesmere Presbyterian church [No. 403] which opened in 1882. As Scottsdale's population centre shifted away from Ellesmere the Presbyterians considered moving the church to a more convenient site. In March 1917 a decision was made to move the church and by the end of the Great War, it had been removed from Ellesmere by a team of bullocks to a new site further down George Street closer to the town centre. The old timber church remained here until the 1980’s when it was demolished and replaced by a new building.
Soon after the church’s centenary in 1982 it had become evident that the old building was no longer adequate in meeting the needs of a modern congregation. Under the leadership of Reverend John Britton, a building committee was formed to fund and consider designs for a new building. In 1986 a modern building was completed and dedicated to St Andrew.
Post a Comment