No. 412 - Turners Beach Methodist Church

In the 19th century Turners Beach formed the western part of the settlement of Leith which straddled the River Forth. It was also known as Scott’s Beach, named after the Scott family who operated a flour mill on Claytons Rivulet. On 21 March 1961, the Ulverstone Council renamed the the area Turners Beach in honour of Mr Glen Turner. In February 1922 the Turners purchased 100 acres at Leith. Their home "The Gables", part of which was built about 1850, was formerly "The Sailor's Return Inn”. Glen Turner was active in the community and was involved with the Ulverstone Council and Town Planning Committee, the Rural Fire Brigade, Eliza Purton Home, National Trust, Turners Beach Methodist Church and the Methodist Youth Camp Committee.

Land for the Turners Beach church was donated by the Turner’s in 1956. Prior to the building of the church, services were held at a premises at Boyes Street and later in the hall at the Turner's Beach Methodist Youth Camp, which was established in the 1950s.

In 1957 the old Melrose State school was purchased for £425 and moved to the church site. The first service in the old school building was held on 14 September 1958. The building was dedicated on 6 November 1960. In March 1972 the Gawler Methodist church (which was previously a Primitive Methodist church at Gravel Hill) [ see No. 365 ]  was acquired and moved onto the site. It was attached to the rear of the Melrose building for use as a Sunday school.



The church closed approximately 20 years ago and was converted into a house. Unfortunately, more recent renovations to the property have been such that the old school building and historic Gawler church are now no longer recognisable.

Photo: Courtesy of Roberts Real Estate (2015)
Google Street View screen-shot (2010)

Sources:

Stansall, M. E. J and Methodist Church of Australasia Tasmanian Methodism, 1820-1975 : compiled at the time of last Meeting of Methodism prior to union. Methodist Church of Australasia, Launceston, Tas, 1975.

The Advocate' 28 September 1976. (Obituary)

https://www.placenames.tas.gov.au [Turners Beach]

Libraries Tasmania : Agency Number NG2835 (Harry Vincent Glengyle Turner). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)