No. 460 - The Newnham Church of Christ

Newnham is a northern suburb of the city of Launceston. Originally part of the municipality of Lilydale, Newnham was proclaimed a town in 1946. There are several active Christian communities in Newnham including the Uniting Church, an Anglican church, a chapel at Aldersgate, the Christian Brethren and the Church of Christ.

In the 1870s the Church of Christ arrived in Tasmania and first established itself in Launceston and Hobart. Initially the denomination was simply known as the ‘Christians’ then from 1885 as 'Disciples of Christ' and finally as 'Churches of Christ'. The Churches of Christ formed numerous congregations across the north of the Tasmania but are especially well represented in the north-west.

The Church of Christ has been well represented in Launceston with the first permanent church opening on Margaret Street in 1912. Established in the 1980’s, the Newnham church is an unpretentious and unadorned building and as such is typical of most places of worship associated with the Church of Christ. Little detailed information about the building or the congregation is available.

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)