No. 470 - St Barnabas' at Newnham - "Barney's"

Newnham is a suburb of the city of Launceston. Originally part of the municipality of Lilydale, Newnham was proclaimed a town in 1946. There are several active churches in Newnham including the Uniting Church, a chapel at Aldersgate, the Christian Brethren, the Church of Christ and an Anglican church, St Barnabas’, now better known as “Barney's”.

The current church is the third Anglican church built at Newnham. The first church opened on Sunday 4th May 1851 but little is known about its subsequent history. It closed at some point in the 1880’s. The second church was opened and consecrated by Bishop Mercer on Sunday 25th February 1906. In 1959 a new hall was opened near the church and this was made into a church hall in 1966. It was then converted into a modern church and dedicated in June 1968.

The church has had another makeover in recent years but the shape of the 1950’s hall can be seen in the photographs below. The 1906 weatherboard church stands nearby and can be seen nearby the modern structure.


Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

The 1906 Church - Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Sources:

Stephens, Geoffrey and Anglican Church of Australia. Diocese of Tasmania, (issuing body.) The Anglican Church in Tasmania : a Diocesan history to mark the sesquicentenary, 1992. Trustees of the Diocese, Hobart, 1991.

http://www.tasbarneys.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 606 - Upper Castra - Uniting (Methodist) Church (1908-1989)