No. 479 - Hilltop Christian Church at Scottsdale

Scottsdale is the largest town in north-east Tasmania. It is named after the Government Surveyor, James Scott, who explored the region in the 1850’s. Scottsdale is viewed as part of Tasmania’s Bible belt. With 10 places of worship in a town with a population of a little over 2000, perhaps there is something to this perception.

The Hilltop Christian Church, which is literally is perched on a hill at the highest point in town, is a relative newcomer to Scottsdale. It is a pentecostal church, with roots in the Bethesda Movement and now part of Bethesda Ministries International, with 13 associated churches across Australia as well as churches in India and the Phillipines.

Apart from the Hilltop Church, there are two Tasmanian churches forming part of the Bethesda movement; one at George Town and the other at Exeter. Like many pentecostal churches, the churches are often not purpose built but converted from buildings designed for other purposes.


Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Sources:

https://www.bmi.org.au/?page=home

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)

No. 1017 - Hobart - St Peter's Hall