No. 508 - Cooee Uniting Church

Cooee is situated to the west of Burnie in North West Tasmania and is now considered a suburb of the city. Two denominations have been represented in the town; the Anglican and the Uniting (Methodist) Churches.

The Uniting Church which is located on Fidler Street is the second 'Methodist' church established at Cooee. The first church opened in November 1919 and had previously been the Cooee Public Hall which was purchased by the Methodists and moved to a new site on the western side of the town. The building was enlarged and had its walls raised. It was officially opened by Reverend A.V. Ballard on Sunday 15 November 1919.

In the mid 1970’s the old church was demolished and replaced by the modern building on Fidler Street. The building is shared with the 'Rivers of Living Waters Christian Church'.

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Sources:

Examiner, Saturday 11 October 1919, page 5
Advocate, Saturday 15 November 1919, page 2

Stansall, M. E. J & Methodist Church of Australasia 1975, Tasmanian Methodism, 1820-1975 : compiled at the time of last Meeting of Methodism prior to union, Methodist Church of Australasia, Launceston, Tasmania


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 606 - Upper Castra - Uniting (Methodist) Church (1908-1989)