No. 517 - Burnie - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Tasmania dates back to 1854 when Robert Owen began to proselytise in Hobart. This mission was however unsuccessful and it was not until the 1890’s that congregations were established at Hobart and the Upper Huon. Chapels were built at North Hobart in 1924 and in Glen Huon in 1927. Many early converts migrated to Utah in response to opposition to proselytising by government.

The church in Tasmania grew rapidly in the 1950’s. By the early 21st century membership reached 4000 attending ‘churches’ in Moonah, Rosny, Launceston, Glen Huon, Deloraine, Devonport and Burnie. The Burnie church is located in the suburb of Montello. 


Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019


Sources:  

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/facts-and-statistics/country/australia

https://www.utas.edu.au/library/companion_to_tasmanian_history/C/Church%20of%20Jesus%20Christ..htm




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 606 - Upper Castra - Uniting (Methodist) Church (1908-1989)