No. 591 - Granton - Our Lady Queen of Croatians and Queen of Peace

Granton is a suburb of Greater Hobart and is situated approximately 20 kilometres north of the city centre. Originally known as South Bridgewater, it was renamed as a tribute to Charles Henry Grant, one time General Manager of the Main Line Railway which opened in 1876.

Tasmania is home to about 1200 Croatians and their families. The first Croatians came to Tasmania in the 19th century, but most migrated after World War Two, either for political or economical reasons.

On eighth of December 1992, on the feast of the Immaculate Conception, the Church was consecrated as ‘Our Lady Queen of Croatians and Queen of Peace’ by the Archbishop of Split.

In the late 1980’s the Croatian community led by Fr Hunski began to build a church at Granton. Fr Hunski not only inspired the work, but did much of the labour in building the tower in particular. The church is is a legacy to the faith and community spirit of the Croatian people in Tasmania. The church is also known as the Croatian Catholic Centre. The church falls under the Catholic Archdiocese of Hobart.

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019


Source:

https://hobart.catholic.org.au/archbishop/homilies/our-lady-queen-croatians-pray-us-twenty-fifth-anniversary-opening-our-lady-queen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)