No. 630 - Ulverstone - Presbyterian Church of Eastern Australia

Situated on the north west coast of Tasmania, Ulverstone is a town of many churches with 16 denominations established during its 170 year history. While Ulverstone's older and traditional religious denominations have a rich historical record, more recently established churches are more challenging to research.

The Presbyterian Church of Eastern Australia church is located on Leven Street opposite the Ulverstone Primary School. The austere modern appearance of the building belies the fact that church dates back to 1961. The church originated from a division in the Penguin Baptist church in 1960 which led to the establishment of the Baptist Reformed Church. In 1961 the congregation became a part of the Reformed Evangelical Church. Then in 1965 the congregation became a part of the Presbyterian Church of Eastern Australia. The church at Leven Street opened in 1977.

The Presbyterian Church of Eastern Australia is a small Presbyterian denomination which was formed in Sydney in 1846. At present there are 27 congregations in Eastern Australia with a membership of about 1000. The Ulverstone church is the only representative of the denomination in Tasmania.




Sources:

Ulverstone History Museum.  Ulverstone sesqui-centenary celebrations souvenir 1852-2002 / Ulverstone History Museum  Sesqui-Centenary Book Committee, Ulverstone History Museum Ulverstone, Tas  2002

http://www.pcea.org.au
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 606 - Upper Castra - Uniting (Methodist) Church (1908-1989)