No. 710 - Deloraine Kingdom Hall

Deloraine is a town on the Meander River in the central north of Tasmania and it is situated half way between Launceston and Devonport.

The Jehovah's Witness diverges from the mainstream doctrines of Christianity in that it is a non-trinitarian tradition. Jehovah's Witnesses believe their denomination is a restoration of first-century Christianity. It is a ‘closed’ church and its practices have led its critics to regard it as a sect. The persecution of members of the Jehovah’s Witness in many countries, including Australia, has no doubt contributed to this culture of seclusion. For this reason it is a challenge to research this denomination and articles about Kingdom Halls on ‘Churches of Tasmania’ will be limited in historical content.

The following information about the Jehovah’s Witness in Tasmania is derived from its tract, ‘The Watchtower’:

“In the early 1900s a member of the International Bible Students Association, as Jehovah's Witnesses were known, was distributing Bible study publications in Tasmania. Literature was left with the postmaster at Queenstown, Tom Anderson, and he and his wife became Witnesses. Around this time, E. Brewster preached around the state. In about 1908 Bible students were active in the Westbury area, and spread to the north-east of Tasmania. The Witnesses operated radio station 7UV in Ulverstone from 1934 to spread the Bible's message. In 1945 the Witnesses purchased their first Kingdom Hall (church) in Hobart. In 2003 there were 25 congregations statewide and over 1600 members regularly engaging in the public ministry…”.

At present there are 18 Kingdom Halls in Tasmania including the Deloraine Kingdom Hall which is located on Mole Creek Road.

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019


Sources and links of interest:

https://www.utas.edu.au/tasmanian-companion/biogs/E000528b.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)