No. 815 - Lutana - Plymouth Brethren Hall (1990-2017)

Lutana is a northern suburb of Hobart located on the western shore of the Derwent River and adjacent to the Risdon zinc smelter and refinery. Lutana was originally called Risdon Rise. Following a naming competition run by the Electronic Zinc Company in 1920, when building their new housing estate, the name Lutana was chosen. Lutana is an aboriginal work for ‘moon’.

The Exclusive Christian Brethren, now known as the Plymouth Brethren, originated in Plymouth, Great Britain, in the 1820s. By the mid 19th century the movement had spread to Australia. The 'Exclusive Brethren' is a restrictive group which broke away in 1848. In 2012 the Exclusive Brethren adopted the name 'Plymouth Brethren Christian Church'. Tasmanian Plymouth Brethren churches are part of global organisation with about 50 000 members. The Plymouth Brethren are known for avoiding social interaction with people outside the faith, which has contributed to it being viewed as a Christian sect.

The Plymouth Brethren Church should not be confused with the 'Open Brethren'. In Tasmania, most Brethren belong to 'open' churches.

The Lutana Brethren Hall was built in 1990 and was closed and sold in 2017. With limited contact with the secular world, information about the Lutana church is not freely available.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)