No. 823 - Newstead - Evangelical Presbyterian Church

Newstead is a Launceston suburb situated on the east side of the city centre. It is named after "Newstead House" which was built and named by Ronald Campbell Gunn in 1855.

The Newstead Evangelical Presbyterian church is located on Birch Street opposite the grounds of Launceston United Soccer Club. The building was previously used by the Orthodox Coptic Christian Church, “St Demiana & St. Abraam Church and Mission”. The Evangelical Presbyterian Church acquired the building in 2016 and relocated to Newstead from the Youngtown church on Talune Street.

The Evangelical Presbyterian Church was established in 1961. It is a small denomination with representation in Tasmania, Queensland and New South Wales.

The church was founded in Tasmania and the ordination of its first ministers took place in Launceston:

“The historical scene was then set for the actual birth of the EPC. It took place on Thursday evening, the 28th. September, 1961, in "Chalmers Hall", Frederick Street, Launceston. This in many ways was most appropriate, for Chalmers Church was the original Free Church in Launceston”.

Since the 1960s the Evangelical Presbyterian Church has had several congregations in Tasmania including Hobart, Taranna, Penguin and Winnaleah.

                                                                     Photo: D. Grant 2020


Sources and Links of interest:

https://www.epc.org.au/history/a-history-of-the-evangelical-presbyterian-church-of-australia.html.  [9 April 2020]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 606 - Upper Castra - Uniting (Methodist) Church (1908-1989)