No. 849 - Invermay - Praise Methodist Church

Invermay is a northern suburb of Launceston bounded by the Tamar River and the North Esk River. Since it was settled in the mid 19th century, nine places of worship have been built but many have these no longer exist or have been converted for other uses.

The Praise Methodist Church is located in the former St George’s Anglican church on Invermay Road. The history of this church has featured in a previous article in Churches of Tasmania. [see No. 66]. The Praise Methodist Church is a part of the Chinese Methodist Church of Australia which currently has 21 churches across the country.

The Praise Methodist Church dates back to the early 1990s when Launceston experienced an increase in students from Asian countries studying at the University of Tasmania’s campus at Newnham. By 1997 the need for a Chinese Ministry led to the establishment of monthly Mandarin Sunday Services at Punchbowl Church. The Chinese Methodist Church Australia’s ‘Evangelistic Centre Launceston’, was officially launched in 1997.

By the early 2000s the Centre’s congregation consisted mostly of University of Tasmania students. In 2006 the Launceston Preaching Centre established the Praise Methodist Church. In May 2008 the church’s rented premises in Mowbray were badly damaged in a fire. Consequently Launceston’s Uniting Church offered temporary accomodation in their chapel on Georgetown Road. In 2010 the former Invermay Anglican church was purchased and on 11th April 2010 the Praise Methodist Church was formally dedicated.






Sources:

https://cmca.org.au
https://praisemethodistchurch.webs.com/church-history







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)