No. 913 - St Marys - Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic Church

St Marys is a small township at the junction of the Tasman Highway and the Esk Highway on the East Coast of Tasmania. It was once the eastern terminus for the Fingal Railway. The town is part of the Break O'Day Council.

Our Lady of the Assumption is the second Catholic church built at St Marys. The first church, a weatherboard building which opened in 1899, was destroyed in a fire in 1974.

A new brick church, designed by Father Mitchell of Taroona was built as its replacement. The new church was opened on 9 May 1975 by Archbishop Guilford Young. The church is one of five Catholic churches in St Marys parish which covers the Fingal Valley and the North East coast.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)

No. 1035 - Lower Mount Hicks Methodist Church (1890-1972)