No. 918 - Granton - Plymouth Brethren Hall

Granton is a suburb of Greater Hobart and is situated approximately 20 kilometres north of the city centre. Originally known as South Bridgewater, it was renamed as a tribute to Charles Henry Grant, one time General Manager of the Main Line Railway which opened in 1876.

The Exclusive Christian Brethren, now known as the Plymouth Brethren, originated in Plymouth, Great Britain in the 1820s. By the mid 19th century the Christian Brethren became established in Australia.

The 'Exclusive Brethren' is a restrictive group which broke away from the original Christian Brethren in 1848. In 2012 the Exclusive Brethren adopted the name 'Plymouth Brethren Christian Church’. Tasmanian Plymouth Brethren churches are part of global organisation with about 50 000 members. The Plymouth Brethren are notorious for avoiding social interaction with people outside the faith, which has contributed to the denomination being considered a Christian sect.

The Granton Plymouth Brethren Hall is located on the Main Road. The hall, which is newly built in 2012, is a typical example of modern Exclusive Brethren Halls; that is it is a virtually featureless brick building and very well secured.

With limited contact with the secular world, information about the Granton hall is not readily available.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)

No. 1017 - Hobart - St Peter's Hall