No. 1007 - Roger River - St Michael and All Angels' Anglican Church (1967-2005)
Roger River is located about 25 kilometres south-west of the town of Smithton. Roger River originated as the name of a river front property. A small settlement developed around the Mackay's Sawmill. Consideration was given to calling the settlement Rogerton and the local school was known as the Rogerton school from about 1923.
Plans for a church at Roger River were developed in 1964 and in November 1967 the church was opened and dedicated. The modern hexagon shaped brick building has an unusual irregular roofline. Locally it was known as “the church with the broken back”. The church was built with the support of the surrounding communities of Edith Creek, Nabageena, Roger River and Trowutta. St Michael and All Angels’ was consecrated by Bishop R.E. Davies on 2 May 1976.
The church closed early this century and was sold in 2005. The building was subsequently converted into a house.
|St Michaels and All Angels at Roger River (undated) Photographer not known.|
|The former church in 2019 after its conversion into a house. Photo courtesy of Casey Spinks Property Service Smithton|
Stephens, Geoffrey, The Anglican Church in Tasmania: a diocesan history to mark the sesquicentenary, 1992, Trustees of the Diocese, Hobart, 1991.
Post a Comment