No. 1015 - Blackmans Bay - St Peter's Anglican Church (1968-2016)

Blackmans Bay is located adjacent to the town of Kingston and is approximately fourteen kilometres south of Hobart. It is named after James Blackman who made a claim for a grant of land in the area in about 1844. It was once a popular place for holiday shacks but is now a residential area.

Plans to build a church at Blackmans Bay were developed in 1960. In 1968 the foundation stone for the building was laid and the church was constructed at a cost of $12 000. The church was dedicated to St Peter in October 1968.

St Peter’s closed in 1916 and sold in the following year. The church and attached land has recently been developed for housing units.



St Peter's Anglican Church (Google street view)


St Peter's at Blackmans Bay (undated) photo supplied



Source:

Stephens, Geoffrey, The Anglican Church in Tasmania: a diocesan history to mark the sesquicentenary, 1992, Trustees of the Diocese, Hobart, 1991.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 606 - Upper Castra - Uniting (Methodist) Church (1908-1989)