No. 1023 - West Hobart - Christadelphian Ecclesia

West Hobart is an inner-city suburb of Hobart immediately west of the city centre. The suburb occupies the high ground below Knocklofty Hill.

The West Hobart Christadelphian ecclesia is located in Warwick Street in a building that was established as a Seventh-Day Adventist church. The church was built by the Adventists in 1896 and was vacated about 20 years ago when the Christadelphian’s acquired the building.

The word ‘Christadelphian’ means ‘Brethren in Christ’. The denomination was founded in 1848 by Dr. John Thomas (1805-1871), who broke from the Disciples of Christ. Christadelphian’s hold several beliefs that differ from mainstream Christian denominations. They reject the doctrine of the Trinity and believe that Jesus Christ was a man. They do not mix with other Christian groups and have no interest in ecumenism. Members of this religion do not vote, do not run for political office, or engage in war. The word "ecclesia" is used by Christadelphians instead of church. Ecclesia is a Greek word usually translated as "church" in English Bibles. It also means "a people called out." Christadelphians communities are autonomous and they have no central governing body.

The Warwick Street ‘church’ is one of four Christadephian ecclesia in Tasmania with over 140 ecclesia existing across Australia.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)