No. 1047 - Newstead - Plymouth Brethren Hall

Newstead is a suburb of Launceston situated on the eastern side of East Launceston. It is named after "Newstead House" which was built and named by Ronald Campbell Gunn in 1855.

The Plymouth Brethren Hall at Newstead is located at the intersection of Lantana Avenue and Rintala Street. The hall which was built in the 1980s is an unadorned face brick building typical of Exclusive Brethren buildings.

The Exclusive Christian Brethren, now known as the Plymouth Brethren, originated in Plymouth, Great Britain, in the 1820s. By the mid 19th century the Christian Brethren became established in Australia.

The 'Exclusive Brethren' is a restrictive group which broke away from the original Christian Brethren in 1848. In 2012 the Exclusive Brethren adopted the name 'Plymouth Brethren Christian Church’. Tasmanian Plymouth Brethren churches are part of global organisation with about 50 000 members. The Plymouth Brethren are notorious for avoiding social interaction with people outside the faith, which has contributed to the denomination being considered a Christian sect.

With very limited contact with the secular world, information about the Newstead hall is not readily available.

The Newstead Plymouth Brethren Hall - image: Google street view 2010






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)

No. 1035 - Lower Mount Hicks Methodist Church (1890-1972)