No. 1130 - Scottsdale - St Patrick's Catholic Church (1994)

Scottsdale is the largest town in north-east Tasmania. It is named after the Government Surveyor, James Scott, who explored the region in the 1850’s. 

Scottsdale's first Catholic church opened in 1886 and was  consecrated in the following year.  In 1909 the building was moved to a new site to the north of the town.  St Patrick's was reopened and rededicated on 30 January 1910.

In 1978 the church was demolished and replaced by the “Log Cabin” church which opened in the same year. The altar and other items from the old church were moved to the new building.

In December 1992 disaster struck when Advent candles accidentally left alight resulted in a fire that engulfed and destroyed the building. Mass was held in Scottsdale’s C.W.A. Hall until the present church was built and opened in September 1994. 

The original altar and other historical items were destroyed in the fire but these were replaced from other Catholic churches from across  north east Tasmania which had been closed.






Sources:

Southerwood, W. T Planting a faith in Tasmania. Southerwood, Hobart, 1970.

Fairburn, Margaret E and McKay, John T. (Father) The flickering flame : Catholicism in north-east Tasmania, 1877-2011. Father John McKay, Tasmania, 2011.

.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)