No. 1148 - Taranna - Evangelical Presbyterian Church (1972-2004)

Taranna is a small settlement about 15 kilometres north east of the Town of Nubeena on the Tasman Peninsula. The settlement was the site of the Norfolk Bay Signal Station. The name Taranna, an Aboriginal name for wallaby, was adopted in the 1880s.

The church at Taranna was originally St Matthew’s Presbyterian church at Tunbridge which was built in 1886. In 1972 it was transported to Taranna for use as an Evangelical Presbyterian Church. The church closed in 2004 due to poor attendances. It was purchased in 2009 for use as a Heritage Museum.

The Evangelical Presbyterian Church was established in 1961. It is a small denomination with representation in Tasmania, Queensland and New South Wales. The church was founded in Tasmania and the ordination of its first ministers took place in Launceston. The Evangelical Presbyterian Church once had several congregations in Tasmania including Launceston, Hobart, Penguin and Winnaleah.

Image: Google streetview


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)

No. 1035 - Lower Mount Hicks Methodist Church (1890-1972)