No. 1181 - Launceston - St Leonards - Community Church (1986-2008)

The former Community Church is located near Hoblers Bridge at Killafaddy, bordering Newstead. Killafaddy was once the site of stockyards and an abattoir. It is now a light industrial area.

The Community Church was established in 1980 and was led by pastor Kevin Crase. The ‘Community Church’ met at various locations in Launceston until 1985 when it purchased a building at Killafaddy. The property belonged to Tasmanian Board Mills and was built in 1974 to a design by Hank Romyn, featuring extensive use of Blackwood, Huon Pine, Sassafras, Myrtles and Tasmanian Oak.

From 2008 until 2014 the building housed the “Community Christian Academy”. In more recent times it was the premises for the Avalon Arts and Function Centre and was also used for community markets. The building has now been acquired by Launceston City Mission which will use it as a venue to provide youth training and for its “Inside Out program”. The City Mission will make the building available for weekend church services.

Photo: Peter Lees Real Estate

Photo: realestate.com


Sources:

Launceston Churches of the 20th Century, Launceston Historical Society (pamphlet), 1996

Examiner, 27 January 2021.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)

No. 1035 - Lower Mount Hicks Methodist Church (1890-1972)