No.1213 - New Town - The Josephite Mission and History Centre

The Josephite Mission and History Centre is located on the campus of Sacred Heart College at New Town. The building began life as the convent for the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. In 1908 the Sisters were invited by Archbishop Murphy to take responsibility for the Sacred Heart Parish school that had opened 1888. The Sisters of St Joseph were founded in Penola, South Australia in 1866 with their work and values based on the ideals of the Order's founders, Julian Tenison Woods and Mary MacKillop, who shared a call to help and educate children.

In 2010 the covent was redeveloped to house the Josephite Mission and History Centre. The Centre displays the history of the Sister’s of St Joseph who ran 22 Josephite schools across Tasmania. The Centre contains a permanent historical display, a contemporary library of spiritual and Josephite books and several rooms of memorabilia. The Founding Sisters’ Room tells the story of the arrival of the first community of Sisters in Westbury in 1887.

A memorial wall in the Chapel honours all the Sisters who have lived and died in Tasmania since 1887. The chapel is used for personal and community prayer, celebrations of Eucharist and as a flexible space for groups to gather.

The Josephite Mission and History Centre - source:

The Chapel:

The original convent built on Clare Street c.1907 and extended at a later date. Source:



Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 624 - Dunalley - St Martin's Anglican Church - "In grateful memory of the men who fought in the Great War"

No. 592 - Gretna - St Mary the Virgin - "Worthy of Imitation"