No. 1225 - Taroona - Baptist Church (1953)

Located on the Western shore of the Derwent River, Taroona is an outer southern suburb of Greater Hobart which lies within the Kingston municipality. The name ‘taroona’ is a Mouheneener word for chiton, a marine mollusc found on rocks in the intertidal regions of the foreshore. The name ‘Taroona’ was adopted by Clarendon James Cox Lord for his 18-acre property which he purchased in 1894.

In 1942 the first Baptist service was held in the old Taroona public hall on the corner of Channel Highway and Taroona Crescent. In 1948 a block of land was purchased to build a church but this was resold when land on the Channel Highway was donated by Mr Les Escott. In 1953 a church designed by Mr J. Bloomer was constructed by volunteer labour. The opening service took place on 2 May 1953 and was conducted by Mr H.B. West, President of the Baptist Union of Tasmania.

In the early 1980s the church was extensively renovated being effectively rebuilt. Services were held in the new Taroona Community Hall until the building was reopened and dedicated on 10 December 1984.

Up until the church’s closure it was the most southern Baptist church in Australia.

The original Taroona Baptist Church built in 1953. Photo: Reg Escott

The second Taroona Baptist Church built in 1984. (Taroona Historical Group)

Public notice advertising the opening of the church in 1953 - The Mercury


Sources:

The Mercury, Saturday 2 May 1953, page 23

Taroona Historical Group.  Taroona, 1808-1986 : farm lands to a garden suburb / written by past and present residents of Taroona, Taroona Historical Group [Taroona, Tas.]  1988

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)

No. 1205 - Hobart - All Saints' Anglican Church (1859) - "A perfect specimen of architecture"