No. 1229 - Bruny Island - Dennes Point - St Mark's Anglican Church (1940-1982)

Dennes Point is a settlement on the northern tip on Bruny Island. It was named Cape Farewell by the French explorers. In the 1820s when Captain James Kelly farmed the area it became known as Kelly's Point. In the 1840s Darcy and Harry Denne brought the farm and the name Dennes Point was adopted.

St Mark’s Anglican church was opened and dedicated by Bishop Snowden Hay on Sunday 17 March 1940. The church’s origins date back to Anzac Day 1938 when a meeting was held to plan the construction of a church at Dennes Point.

A site given was donated by Mr. William Young, of Woodlands. The church was built at a cost of £180. The Mercury’s report on the opening service provides the following information:

“[It is]…A neat weatherboard structure, with concrete foundation and galvanised iron roof. Its dimensions are: Main body, 26ft. by16ft.; chancel, 12ft. by 8ft and porch and vestry, 12ft. by 6ft. The builder was Mr. L. King, who was assisted by Messrs. V. K. Tollard, A. Kean, and E. Pybus, in a voluntary capacity. Mrs. Shaw donated the matting and marble tablet which were unveiled on Saturday. Mr. G. Klltze the font, Mr. P. Klitze the prayer stool, Mr. Tasman Taylor, the cross, and Miss Grace Lumsden the lectern and prayer-book rest”.

St. Mark’s was the third Anglican church built on North Bruny. St Mark’s closed in the 1980s and was subsequently sold. The church is now part of a residence.

St Mark's at Dennes Point. Photo: David Mohr (2023)


Sources:

Mercury, Monday 18 March 1940, page 8

Stephens, Geoffrey & Anglican Church of Australia. Diocese of Tasmania, (issuing body.) The Anglican Church in Tasmania : a Diocesan history to mark the sesquicentenary, 1992. Trustees of the Diocese, Hobart, 1991.

Henslowe, Dorothea I & Hurburgh, Isa Our heritage of Anglican churches in Tasmania. Mercury-Walch, Moonah, Tas, 1978.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)

No. 1205 - Hobart - All Saints' Anglican Church (1859) - "A perfect specimen of architecture"