No.1289 - St Helens - Uniting Church (1988)

St Helens is the largest town on Tasmania’s east coast. It was established as a fishing village and whaling station in the 1830s. When tin was discovered in the hinterland in the 1870s, St Helens was developed as a port for the mines. It was named by Captain Furneaux after a town of the same name on the Isle of Wight, England. In the 19th century the St Helens district was also referred to as Georges Bay.

The Methodist presence at St Helens dates back to 1871 when services were first regularly conducted by Reverend J. Graham who was stationed at Fingal. The Methodist congregation periodically worshipped in a small weatherboard Anglican church built on Tully Street in 1875. By 1889 the Methodists had built a church of their own. [See No. 1168]

In 1988 the old weatherboard church on Quail Street was replaced by modern brick church designed by architect Robert Adsett. The building was partially constructed with the use of voluntary labour and was completed at a cost of $85 000. The bell of the old church was used in the new building. The church was officially opened on 9 October 1988.

Until recently the St Helens church was part of the Assembly of Confessing Congregations within the Uniting Church of Australia.

Sources and useful links:


Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 624 - Dunalley - St Martin's Anglican Church - "In grateful memory of the men who fought in the Great War"

No. 592 - Gretna - St Mary the Virgin - "Worthy of Imitation"