No. 1323 - Currie - King Island - All Saints' Anglican Church (2002) - "The feel of an Australian home"

Currie is the main town and administration centre of King Island. In 1866 the ship "Netherby" ran onto rocks off the island and was salvaged by Captain Archibald Currie. The harbour and later the settlement were named in his remembrance.

The focus of this article is on Currie’s second Anglican church which was opened by Bishop John Harrower on Sunday 14 April 2002. The new building replaced the original church built in 1913. A few days before Christmas in 1997 All Saints’ church burned to the ground following an act of arson for which two men were later charged. The history of the first church can be found here: [No. 1282]

The islanders quickly rallied to rebuild a new church which was constructed with mostly volunteer labour. The new church was described in the Tasmanian Anglican by Reverend Richard Minol, minister of the Parish of King Island:

“The main external features of the design are the apsidal (curved) sanctuary, with its large feature window, struck by the prominent white cross representing the lighthouse, and a large stainless steel cross, which was a gift from the builders. The roof-line over the sanctuary, when viewed from the side, is in the shape of a ship's prow. The low-pitched roofline of the hall gives the feel of an Australian home. Internally, light has been used to combine with the wide space to make the church open and welcoming, blending areas of tradition with modern informality. Timber was a feature of the old church, with the rood screen of King Island Blackwood. The new building has also used timber, with a Macrocarpa dado with Tasmanian Oak nosing and skirting. Internal doors are also Tasmanian Oak, with etched glass panels in entry, office and kitchen doors. The whole building is designed for ease of access. Entry to the chapel is through an arched double door into the narthex (entry foyer), bathed in light from the large west window, under which is a pew from the original All Saints’. Inside the chapel two lead light windows from the old church, are now on either side of the sanctuary. The seating is now in a more informal curve, so that worship is also fellowship. The sanctuary is raised, with rails from the old Grassy church, and the main floors are covered in a deep grey carpet. Many items from the old church have been saved for a memorial area, which will be in the narthex. The finishing of the new church would not have been possible without the help of a large group of local volunteers”.

Another feature of the new church was a cross, made from two partially burnt beams from the old church which was placed in the gardens.

The photos used in this article were provided by Denice Walter and copyright lies with the Minol family.

Anglican Church, Currie (2006) © Minol family

2002 (14 April) Altar © Minol family

The cross made from beams of old church © Minol family

Christening font on loan from Catholic Church which used at the dedication and consecration service.
© Minol family

Dedication & Consecration Service (Revd. Richard Minol during service) © Minol family

Dedication & Consecration Service (Revd Richard Minol & Bishop John Harrower) © Minol family

Dedication & Consecration Service (after unveiling of commemorative plaque). © Minol family

Dedication & Consecration Service (Revd Minol moving cross to memorial garden) © Minol family

Dedication & Consecration Service (Revd Minol with cross at memorial garden) © Minol family

Dedication & Consecration Service (Bishop John & Revd Minol with cross at memorial garden) © Minol family

2001 working bee at church © Minol family

Building works (2001) © Minol family

Building works (2001) © Minol family

Building works (2001) © Minol family

Building works (2001) © Minol family

Building works (2001) © Minol family

The Front - curved arch is front door © Minol family

Building works (2001) © Minol family

 Reverend Minol's final service on King island (2006) © Minol family

All Saints' - Photo: King Island Parish Facebook page


Mercury 20 December 1997, page 13
Advocate 21 July 1998, page 12
Examiner 16 August 2001, page 32
Tasmanian Anglican, May 2002, page 1
The Service of Dedication and Consecration of All Saints Anglican Parish of King Island. 2002 (booklet)


Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 624 - Dunalley - St Martin's Anglican Church - "In grateful memory of the men who fought in the Great War"

No. 592 - Gretna - St Mary the Virgin - "Worthy of Imitation"