No. 1370 - Brighton - Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church (1957-1984)

Bridgewater is situated on the eastern shore of the Derwent River and is a suburb of the Municipality of Brighton. A large Housing Department estate was built on the eastern side of the Midlands Highway between 1970 and 1980. The older part of Bridgewater dates back to the 1830s when a causeway was built across the Derwent.

The Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church was previously used as a ‘Catholic Soldier’s Hut’ at Brighton Military Camp. The prefabricated building, which was erected at the camp in 1940 was also used as a place of worship. [see No. 1145] In 1957 the building was relocated to a site on Brighton Main Road near the causeway and bridge.

In 1967 the church was almost lost to bushfires which swept across Southern Tasmania. The temporary church was used for almost 30 years before it was replaced by St Paul’s Catholic Church which was built within the new housing estate. After the old church’s closure in 1984 the building was demolished.

Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church (1957-1984) at its original location at Brighton Military Camp


Southerwood, W. T., 1938-. Priceless heritage : the Tasmanian Catholic community 1772-2010 / by W. T. Southerwood, Stella Maris Books St. Leonards, Tas. 2010 


Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 624 - Dunalley - St Martin's Anglican Church - "In grateful memory of the men who fought in the Great War"

No. 592 - Gretna - St Mary the Virgin - "Worthy of Imitation"