No. 1406 - Moonah - The Saints Louis and Zelie Centre and Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Chapel

This article is one of a series about buildings associated with Tasmania’s historical churches.These buildings include Sunday schools, parish halls, convents, schools and residences of the clergy. Ancillary buildings are often overlooked and rarely feature in published histories. My aim is to create a simple record of these buildings, including of those that no longer exist.

The Saints Louis and Zelie Centre is located in the Moonah-Lutana parish north of Hobart. The centre, which was opened and blessed in December 2015, is housed in the former Convent of the Sisters of St Joseph. The Convent was built in 1935 near St Therese of Lisieux Catholic Church on Hopkins Street. It was blessed and opened on 5th May 1935 and named St Joseph’s Convent.

The Centre is is associated with L’Arche (“The Ark”), an international federation of non-profit organisations working to create networks of community for people with intellectual disabilities. L’Arche Beni-Abbes began in Hobart in 1986 with a house established in the Northern suburbs.

The Moonah-Lutana Parish shares the Saints Louis and Zelie Centre with L’Arch Beni-Abbes and provides it with administrative and other support. The Centre was named in honour of the parents of St Therese of Lisieux. The couple were canonised by Pope Francis in 2014 and are the first married couple since biblical times to be honoured by the Catholic Church as saints.

The Centre houses several common rooms including ‘Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Chapel’, the chapel used by the Sisters of St Joseph.

St Joseph's Convent which now houses the Moonah-Lutana Parish Centre and Saints Louis and Zelie Centre. Image:

Saints Louis and Zelie



Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 624 - Dunalley - St Martin's Anglican Church - "In grateful memory of the men who fought in the Great War"

No. 592 - Gretna - St Mary the Virgin - "Worthy of Imitation"