No. 1417 - Launceston - Frederick Street - Church of Christ (1994-2003)

The first members of the Church of Christ arrived in Tasmania in 1865 and by the 1870s congregations were established in Launceston and Hobart. The first followers were initially known as ‘Christians' then from 1885 as 'Disciples of Christ' and from 1915 as the 'Churches of Christ’.

The Launceston Church of Christ has operated from various premises since it was established in August 1884. Following the placement of an advertisement in the Examiner calling for ‘Disciples of Christ’ a congregation of nine members initially met in private homes and halls. A mission tent was erected on the corner of the Kings Way and Brisbane Street in 1913 with almost 300 people “committing their lives to Christ”.

In 1913 the Church of Christ purchased the former Catholic Apostolic Church (built in 1898) situated on Margaret Street. The Margaret Street building served the Church of Christ for more than 80 years. In 1994 the Church moved into a former plaster’s factory and warehouse on Frederick Street. The Frederick Street Church operated for 10 years before moving to the former Coats-Patons' Factory in Glen Dhu where it adopted a new name: The Door of Hope.

The former church premises on Frederick Street is now occupied by Launceston Pathology.

The former premises of the Church of Christ on Frederick Street (Google street-view)


The Examiner 8 March 2014

Launceston Churches of the 20th Century (pamphlet) Launceston Historical Society, 1996


Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 624 - Dunalley - St Martin's Anglican Church - "In grateful memory of the men who fought in the Great War"

No. 592 - Gretna - St Mary the Virgin - "Worthy of Imitation"