No. 1438 - Glenorchy - Southern Presbyterian Church

The city of Glenorchy is located approximately 7 kilometres north of Hobart's CBD. Glenorchy means ‘glen of tumbling waters’ and it is believed that Governor Lachlan Macquarie named the area after his wife’s birthplace in Argyllshire.

The Glenorchy Southern Presbyterian Church meets at the former Timsbury Road school just off the Derwent Highway.

The Southern Presbyterian Church is a small denomination that is exclusive to Tasmania. There are now only two congregations; one at East Launceston and the other at Glenorchy. The church was formed in 1986 after it broke away from the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, which was founded in Launceston in 1961. Worship in the Southern Presbyterian Church is characterised by preaching, prayer and the unaccompanied singing of Psalms. The Southern Presbyterian Church's beliefs and practises are loosely aligned with the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Australia, the Presbyterian Church of Eastern Australia and the Evangelical Presbyterian Church.

Source: Google 'streetview'


Sources and further information:

https://spctasmania.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Presbyterian_Church_(Australia)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 624 - Dunalley - St Martin's Anglican Church - "In grateful memory of the men who fought in the Great War"

No. 276 - The Former Kempton Presbyterian Church - 'A Blue Church at Green Ponds'