No. 206 - Scotch Oakburn Memorial Chapel at Newstead

Scotch Oakburn College was formed in 1979 with the amalgamation of the Scotch College and Oakburn College (formerly the Methodist Ladies' College). The Scotch College was established as a non-denominational boys' school, on York Street in Launceston in 1901. In 1917, the moved to the Penquite Road campus in Newstead.

The Memorial Chapel was built in memory of former ‘Old Boys’ who served and gave their lives in both World Wars. A plaque inside the chapel records the names of 39 past students who did not survive the two wars. The foundation stone was laid on 29th June 1957 by Reverend J.H. Bates. The school was taken over by the Presbyterian Church of Australia in October 1950 and is now a Uniting Church school.


Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2018

Sources:

https://www.soc.tas.edu.au/our-college/our-history/

http://monumentaustralia.org.au/themes/conflict/multiple/display/70531-scotch-oakburn-college-memorial-chapel/

Stansall, M. E. J and Methodist Church of Australasia Tasmanian Methodism, 1820-1975 : compiled at the time of last Meeting of Methodism prior to union. Methodist Church of Australasia, Launceston, Tas, 1975.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)