No. 342 - The Baptist Church at Devonport

The history of the Baptist Church at Devonport goes back to the 1880’s when services held in a billiard hall. [see No. 220] In 1898 a hall on Stewart Street was purchased but this was replaced by a substantial brick ‘tabernacle’ that opened in 1904. This building now houses the Devonport Art Centre.

In 1958, the Baptists purchased land on William Street to build a hall which was completed in 1962. A modern Baptist church on the William Street site was opened in December 1972 and is now known as the Lifeway Baptist Church.

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Photograph: Duncan Grant 2019

Sources:

http://www.devonportbaptists.org.au/home/a-brief-history/

Comments

  1. Why do people build churches that look like public toilet blocks?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No. 990 - Hobart - St Mary's Cathedral (Part 1) - "The Wild Vines of Tasmania"

No. 988 - North Hobart - The "King Street" Church and School

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)