No. 954 - George Town - Cornerstone Family Church

George Town is one of the oldest towns in Australia and is the second oldest town in Tasmania. It is therefore unusual that most of the town’s churches were only established after World War Two. The emergence of Launceston as the administrative centre of the North in the early years of the colony meant that George Town was destined to remain a backwater until more recent times. The construction of an aluminium smelter at nearby Bell Bay in the 1950s as well as the development of industry south of the town, accelerated George Town’s population growth in the post-war era.

Cornerstone Family Church was founded in 1989 by Max Triebe and James Cloudsdale. Church meetings were initially held in ‘The Grove Restaurant’ on Sunday evenings.

In 1994 the church purchased the Gordon Square Kindergarten and converted the building into a meeting place. In 2014 the church was extended after it acquired two adjoined demountable classrooms from St Patricks Primary school, Latrobe. In 2015 the original kindergarten building was substantially enlarged and was officially opened by Pastor Peter Vacca, the founder of Bethesda Ministries International. Cornerstone Family Church is a part of Bethesda Ministries International, a pentecostal movement, which has 14 associated churches across Australia as well as churches in India and the Phillipines.

The Cornerstone Family Church has a mission focus, supporting three overseas missions. It also serves in the community through ministry to the aged, school mentoring, chaplaincy support, seafarer’s missions support, and children’s ministry.







Sources:


http://www.cornerstone-georgetown-tas.org.au/who_we_are.html

https://www.bmi.org.au/?page=home







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Churches of Tasmania

No. 1058 - Strahan - St Finn Barr's Catholic Church (1900-2005)

No. 1035 - Lower Mount Hicks Methodist Church (1890-1972)